Eight key factors from Matt Hancock’s press convention as he warns vaccine provide is ‘tight’
Well being Secretary Matt Hancock has revealed 6.6 million folks have now obtained a coronavirus vaccine, round one in 9 folks throughout the entire UK.
He warned that provides of the vaccine provide remained “tight”, however he additionally stated progress in the direction of vaccinating the highest 4 precedence teams by February 15 is “on monitor”.
Main a Downing Street press convention, he was requested when the lockdown would finish. The Well being Secretary did not set a date – however defined why restrictions should proceed for the forseeable future.
He stated there are 37,000 folks in hospital with coronavirus, “nearly twice as many as on the first peak again in April. And there are extra folks on ventilators than at any time on this complete pandemic.
“So the strain on the NHS stays big. And we have to get that case fee down.”
Bulletins on the press convention included:
1) The NHS is underneath “intense strain throughout all elements of the nation”. Mr Hancock stated: “The strain on the entrance line, I can let you know, is simply so relentless” with workers on Covid wards “stretched to the restrict”.
2) 592 extra deaths had been reported right this moment
3) There are “early indicators that the actions we’re taking we’re working”. The rise within the variety of instances is slowing, and falling in London and Scotland
4) As of final night time the UK has vaccinated 77.7% of throughout 80s. That is nearly 4 in 5 of everybody aged over 80
5) 6.6 million folks have now obtained a vaccine, multiple in 9 of the grownup inhabitants. On Saturday alone, practically half one million jabs had been administered
6) An additional 32 giant scale vaccination centres had been opened right this moment. They embrace the Sunderland Nightingale hospital
7) The Authorities is giving native councils funding to run campaigns to encourage folks from ethnic minority communities to take the vaccine
8) As first reported final week, the “Kent” variation of the virus does seem like extra deadly than the previous model of Covid. Mr Hancock stated: “Our response have to be additional cautious Keep at dwelling, preserve social distancing.”