CLEVELAND — In the event you have been hoping for a white Christmas this yr, you bought your want. Thursday’s rain will begin to transition to snow within the early afternoon and a blanket of white is anticipated to cowl most of Northeast Ohio by the vacation.
Lake Impact snow throughout Northeast Ohio is not exhibiting indicators of letting up. Some areas might see as a lot as 2 toes of snow.
Listed below are some issues to anticipate:
- Bitter chilly temps all day
- Single digit temps all day on account of wind chill
- A number of extra inches of snow doable east by means of Saturday morning
By Sunday we’ll make it again above freezing however solely by a couple of levels.
Winter Storm Warning
Most of Northeast Ohio is below a Winter Storm Warning. The warning is in impact for the next counties till 1 p.m.
- Cleveland has issued a parking ban till 8 a.m. Saturday. Parking is prohibited on designated Snow Emergency streets.
- Warrensville Heights has issued a parking ban that’s in impact from 6 p.m. Thursday to six p.m. Saturday.
- Fairview Park has issued a parking ban till no less than 10 a.m. Friday.
- Newburgh Heights has issued a parking ban till additional discover. “Residents ought to take away transfer their automobiles from the Village streets to permit the service division the chance to clear the streets,” town stated.
- Parma has issued a parking ban till additional discover. No parking on streets throughout the metropolis.
- Lorain has issued a parking ban till additional discover. Parking isn’t permitted on any metropolis road throughout the metropolis excluding addresses that would not have a devoted driveway.
ODOT Snow Prep
The Ohio Division of Transportation stated it has greater than 250 plow vans able to go throughout 17 counties in Ohio.
ODOT employees out in full drive
“As at all times, ODOT reminds drivers to decelerate, plan for added journey time and keep a secure following distance behind different automobiles. Keep in mind, do not crowd the plow – give us room to work,” ODOT stated.
ODOT additionally has 272,000 tons of salt readily available in Northeast Ohio able to placed on the roads.
“Plummeting temperatures will cut back the effectiveness of salt, forcing crews to combine in components which are more practical at extraordinarily low temperatures comparable to calcium chloride or beet warmth,” ODOT stated.
Areas of blowing snow might considerably cut back visibility, which might make journey very troublesome and create hazardous situations for the morning and night commutes.
The Nationwide Climate Service says that for those who should journey, it’s best to maintain an additional flashlight, meals, and water in your car in case of an emergency. For the newest highway situations, you may name 511.
The Cleveland Police Division is advising residents to remain at residence if doable on account of icy highway situations.
Visitors Advisory: Highway situations have gotten more and more troublesome with ice and snow inflicting drivers to spin out and develop into caught. Please don’t journey except completely obligatory and for those who do drive, use excessive warning. 🚗🚔🚒🚑
— Cleveland Police (@CLEpolice) December 24, 2020
RELATED: View the latest weather alerts here.
White Christmas Pics
Ship us pictures of your white Christmas! E-mail email@example.com, message us on Facebook, tweet to @WEWS, ship them to @News5Cleveland on Instagram, or submit them on the backside of our Contact Us page here.
We could characteristic your photograph in an internet gallery and even throughout our broadcast!
Comply with the Information 5 Climate Crew: