Dragon fruit (often known as pitaya) is a delicious fruit that originates in Mexico, Central, and South America. It is available in a wide range of colours, together with scorching pink on the surface and shiny white on the within, pink on the inside and outside, and white on the inside and outside. All varieties have small black seeds that dot the within flesh, just like kiwis. Dragon fruit tastes like a cross between a kiwi and a pear. In reality, its texture is similar to a kiwi. It grows on a cactus that solely blooms as soon as at midnight.
Dragon fruit contains high levels of antioxidants, together with flavonoids, phenolic acid, and betacyanin. These antioxidants assist shield your cells from injury by free radicals which may result in illness, most cancers, and untimely ageing. Moreover, pitaya could decrease blood sugar as a result of it repairs broken cells in your pancreas that produce insulin. You’ll be able to eat dragon fruit all by itself, toss it in a smoothie, or place it on high of a yogurt bowl. Learn on to learn to minimize a dragon fruit.
Methods to Inform if a Dragon Fruit is Ripe
First, you wish to make certain your dragon fruit is ripe sufficient to get pleasure from. Underripe dragon fruit is nearly tasteless, so that you wish to guarantee it has had sufficient time to ripen earlier than you chop into it. To do that, give the fruit slightly squeeze. Dragon fruit shouldn’t be rock exhausting. As a substitute, it ought to give slightly bit, just like a ripe avocado. If it feels mushy, it’s overripe. You additionally wish to search for fruit that’s heavy for its measurement as a result of that would be the juiciest fruit.
For extra scrumptious fruit flavors, contemplate our Summer Fruit and Cheesecake Platter. It comes with three creamy cheesecakes and a shiny rainbow of contemporary summer season fruit, together with mangoes, strawberries, kiwi, watermelon, and extra. Or, take a look at our Confetti Berry and Chocolate Bouquet. It comes with semisweet chocolate coated strawberries and confetti berries dipped in cake batter-flavored white chocolate.
Methods to Reduce a Dragon Fruit
Dragon fruit is roofed in prickly leaves, but it surely’s simpler to chop by means of than you may think. The pores and skin is skinny and easy, just like a mango. Beneath the pores and skin, you’ll discover a delicate pliable peel that simply separates from the fruit. Right here’s tips on how to minimize it:
- First, rinse off the dragon fruit to make sure it’s cleaned off completely.
- Place the dragon fruit on a slicing board. Use a pointy knife to chop the fruit in half lengthwise. You’ll be able to cease proper right here should you select and eat the pulp straight out of the pores and skin with a spoon.
- Alternatively, you possibly can take away the fruit from the pores and skin. To do that, you’ve gotten two choices. You should use a big spoon to scoop out the flesh, just like an avocado.
- Or, minimize the fruit in half once more lengthwise and use your fingers to peel the pores and skin away from the fruit on every of the quarters.
- When you’ve eliminated the pores and skin utilizing both methodology, you possibly can minimize the fruit into smaller items. To chop into slices, take one half of the fruit and make slices each quarter inch.
- Or, minimize it into cubes. Start with slices after which flip the fruit 90 levels and minimize in the other way.
Methods to Retailer Dragon Fruit After It’s Reduce
Dragon fruit lasts per week to 2 weeks in your fridge or in your counter. Storing it within the fridge slows down the ripening course of, whereas putting it in your countertop will permit it to proceed to ripen. As soon as you chop into it, dragon fruit doesn’t have an extended shelf life. If you happen to don’t plan to eat your entire dragon fruit in a single sitting, retailer it in an hermetic container and place it within the fridge. It should solely keep contemporary for a couple of days, so make sure you use it up rapidly.
Alternatively, you possibly can freeze cubes of dragon fruit to mix up in smoothies later. To do that, freeze dragon fruit cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze till simply frozen. Place the cubes right into a zip-top bag and retailer them within the freezer for as much as six months.
Dragon fruit seems intimidating to convey house from the shop, but it surely’s simpler to chop than chances are you’ll think about. In reality, it’s just like an avocado with out the pit to take care of. It’s additionally properly well worth the work. Dragon fruit isn’t solely scrumptious, but it surely’s additionally full of wholesome nutritional vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. This distinctive fruit could be loved on fruit trays, smoothies, or simply by itself!