The final word Lunar New 12 months dinner: Superstar chef behind Mr Wong reveals his secret prawn wonton noodle soup recipe – and it is surprisingly straightforward
- A high chef shared his recipe for prawn wonton noodle soup for Lunar New 12 months
- Dan Hong serves up dishes at five-star Sydney eating places together with Mr Wong’s
- Dan mentioned noodles symbolise lengthy life, whereas dumplings characterize wealth and gold
- 1000’s had been impressed with how easy Dan’s recipe was to place collectively
A high chef has shared his favorite recipe for prawn wonton noodle soup, and how one can make it for the upcoming Lunar New 12 months.
Dan Hong serves up dishes at five-star Sydney eating places like Mr Wong and Ms G’s in his function as Government Head Chef for Merivale, certainly one of Australia’s largest hospitality teams.
Regardless of feeding the clientele of a few of the metropolis’s most interesting institutions, he nonetheless makes use of the talents he discovered at residence as a boy to make a wonton noodle soup for his household.
‘After I consider Chinese language New 12 months, I consider dumplings and I consider noodles,’ Dan mentioned in an Instagram video.
‘Noodles characterize lengthy life, and dumplings characterize wealth, cash baggage or gold hidden inside.’
A high chef has shared his favorite recipe for prawn wonton noodle soup, and how one can make it for the upcoming Lunar New 12 months (Dan Hong pictured)
Dan Hong serves up dishes at five-star Sydney eating places like Mr Wong’s and now he has shared his prawn wonton noodle soup recipe (completed consequence pictured)
‘After I consider Chinese language New 12 months, I consider dumplings and I consider noodles,’ Dan mentioned. Noodles symbolise a protracted life, whereas dumplings symbolise cash baggage and prosperity
Whereas many individuals assume wonton noodle soup is tough to make from scratch, Dan defined that the dish is surprisingly straightforward, supplied you get your timings proper.
‘An important factor a few good wonton noodle soup is the broth,’ he mentioned.
‘If you do not have an excellent broth in a noodle soup, you may break the whole dish.’
To make his broth, Dan mentioned you may want two rooster marylands (the whole leg of thigh and drumstick), two tablespoons of dried shrimp and 5 – 6 rashers of bacon.
‘You do not truly need to make inventory within the old school method on high of the range, I’ll present you easy methods to do an historical methodology known as double boiling,’ Dan mentioned.
Double boiling requires you to blanch the rooster and submerge all the components in water, earlier than placing the within the oven for 5 hours to marinate slowly.
How you can make Dan Hong’s prawn wonton noodle soup
Dan shared his scrumptious recipe for his prawn wonton noodle soup (pictured)
For the broth
Two rooster marylands (total leg consisting of thigh and drumstick)
5 – 6 rashers of bacon
Two tablespoons of dried shrimp
Pinch of salt
Pinch of sugar
For the wontons
Peeled and butterflied prawns
Pinch of sugar
Pinch of salt
Drop of sesame oil
For the general dish
Skinny egg noodles
Chinese language broccoli
Coriander to garnish
1. Blanch the rooster marylands in boiling water to eliminate impurities and cease your inventory from turning into cloudy. Blanch for one minute in boiling water, earlier than rinsing them beneath chilly water and placing them again right into a pot with water.
2. Add the dried shrimp and bacon. You may add spring onions, ginger and garlic right here, however it’s not obligatory. Put the lid on high of your pot.
3. Set your oven to 160 levels Celsius for 5 hours. Take the entire pot, put it in there and go away it. It’s best to find yourself with a wonderful clear inventory, that may be strained and seasoned.
4. Pressure the inventory, add seasoning within the type of a bit salt and sugar and provides it a stir. Even when it tastes a bit bit salty, that is okay because the noodles and wontons will dilute the saltiness.
5. To make the wontons, peel and butterfly your prawns and add a easy marinade of sugar, salt and a contact of sesame oil.
6. Put one prawn in every wonton wrapper, including a bit little bit of water to the sides of every wrapper in order that they maintain properly. Pinch every edge and don’t be concerned if it is not tremendous neat.
7. Prepare dinner the wontons in boiling water for 3 minutes.
8. Prepare dinner your skinny egg noodles for 20-30 seconds in boiling water. Add the Chinese language broccoli and prepare dinner for 10-20 seconds.
9. Drain the noodles, rinse them beneath chilly water to scrub off extra starch and blanch them for one more 5 seconds.
10. Add the noodles, broccoli and the wontons to a bowl. Pour over your inventory and add spring onions and coriander. Lastly, add a bit sesame oil to carry out flavour.
Supply: Dan Hong
Whereas many individuals assume wonton noodle soup is tough to make from scratch, Dan defined that the dish is surprisingly straightforward, supplied you get your timings proper (pictured cooking)
The highest chef additionally revealed easy methods to make good prawn wontons, and how one can put the entire dish collectively like a professional.
‘That is how straightforward wonton noodle soup is to make,’ he mentioned.
‘It is certainly one of my favorite dishes to make in the course of the Lunar New 12 months.’
1000’s of people that noticed his clip had been impressed with each the simplicity of the dish and the way scrumptious it seemed (the completed consequence pictured)
1000’s of people that noticed his clip had been impressed with each the simplicity of the dish and the way scrumptious it seemed.
‘That actually seems so good,’ one commenter wrote.
‘One in all your greatest, will do this recipe for positive,’ one other added.
Dan Hong has been making numerous residence cooking movies in the course of the coronavirus pandemic, together with his good lamb cutlets and extra.
Dan shared the recipe as a part of a collaboration with Myer.